Mobile menu
The furniture-makers Nicholas Morel and George Seddon went into partnership in 1826 to decorate George IV’s new Private Apartments in Windsor Castle. The firm produced a series of designs showing the principal elevations of each room, with the intended

George IV's lavish refurbishment of the Green Drawing Room at Windsor, 1824-30

Office of Morel & Seddon

The east elevation of the Library (the Green Drawing Room), Windsor Castle, c.1826 c.1826

Watercolour and bodycolour over pencil | 29.7 x 70.8 cm (sheet of paper) | RCIN 931282

Your share link is...

  Close

On the east front of the Castle the king planned three main reception rooms, all with large bay windows overlooking the new East Terrace gardens. The rooms were the Large Drawing Room, the Small Drawing Room, and the Library – known today as the Crimson, White and Green Drawing Rooms respectively. This watercolour shows the Library, or Green Drawing Room. Despite its name, it was always treated as a small reception room, except when used for Privy Council Meetings. In many ways it was the most spectacular and architecturally distinguished of the new reception rooms.