Mobile menu
The furniture-makers Nicholas Morel and George Seddon went into partnership in 1826 to decorate George IV’s new Private Apartments in Windsor Castle. The firm produced a series of designs showing the principal elevations of each room, with the intended

George IV's lavish refurbishment of the Green Drawing Room at Windsor, 1824-30

Morel & Seddon

Open armchair 1828

Carved and gilded mahogany, silk damask | 99.1 x 80.0 x 64.8 cm (whole object) | RCIN 2412

Blue Drawing Room, Buckingham Palace

Your share link is...

  Close

The modern furnishings of the Green Drawing Room included an enormous suite of new seat furniture, designed in a very rich late Empire manner. Their curved 'klismos' backs are reminiscent of ancient Greek design. Initially larger, the collection had been reduced in size by 1830, probably for reasons of space. In total, four large and two small sofas, four armchairs, and fourteen side chairs were supplied. All were green, matching the 740 yards of 'Green flowered Tissue' which papered the walls.