Mobile menu
The furniture-makers Nicholas Morel and George Seddon went into partnership in 1826 to decorate George IV’s new Private Apartments in Windsor Castle. The firm produced a series of designs showing the principal elevations of each room, with the intended

George IV's lavish refurbishment of the Green Drawing Room at Windsor, 1824-30

Thomire & Cie

Mantel clock c.1806-12

Chased and gilt bronze, verde antico marble | RCIN 30016

Green Drawing Room, Windsor Castle

Your share link is...

  Close

George IV included in his furnishings for Windsor Castle some of the finest eighteenth- and early-nineteenth century French works of art from his former home, Carlton House. This clock is one of several recorded in a 'Pictorial Inventory' of items for consideration for the Castle. It was sent to Windsor by the King's Clockmaker, Benjamin Vulliamy, in November 1828, to stand on the main chimneypiece of the Green Drawing Room. The clock represents an incident in the struggle between the Sabines and the Romans, when Sabine women intervened to reconcile the warring parties. Romulus, to the right, is poised to hurl his spear at Tatius, King of the Sabines, but a group of Sabine women with their infants have thrown themselves between the antagonists.