Mobile menu
Attributed to Edward Pearce (c. 1630-95)

Charles II (1630-1685) circa 1670circa 1680

Terracotta | 80.0 x 56.0 x 34.0 cm (whole object) | RCIN 39248

Your share link is...

  Close

Possibly a model for a final marble version, this terracotta sculpture is a solemn portrait of King Charles II shown with his head turned to the right and slightly raised. His stern expression and gesture are an indication of his power and authority. Charles II is depicted wearing contemporary dress with a laced cravat and a wig. The falling drapery is decorated with a beautifully carved pattern of stylised tulips, a flower made fashionable by the Dutch during this period and a symbol of wealth. This terracotta bust was much admired by King George V and Queen Mary who instructed its restoration in 1938, when it was decided that its bronzed finsih, decaying in certain areas, should be removed. After that the bust was relocated to a more prominent position and placed inside the Dining Room at Windsor Castle.