Cup and cover c.1605-9
Silver gilt | RCIN 51443
A German silver-gilt pineapple cup and cover, of conventional form. The lobed cover has a finial cast as a griffin holding a trefoil, and is engraved inside with two coats of arms. The cup is engraved around the rim with hunting dogs and scrolling flowers.
The coats of arms inside the lid relate to the prominent Nuremberg families of Flentz and Tramel. Hans Flentz and Hans Tramel were both on the city council in the 1590s and early 1600s and were in a business partnership together, running a mill in the city.
Until recently the cup was attributed to the goldsmith Jacob Stoer, whose mark is almost identical to Schyrer's. However, the city mark of Nuremberg used here dates from 1602-9, and Jacob Stoer did not receive his own mark until 1626 - so this work cannot be his.
Georg Schyrer (also Schirer, Schurer or Schürer) is little known. Born in Eichstatt, the son of a goldsmith, he became a master of the guild in 1600. In 1605 he married Maria, daughter of Hans Pezold (1550/1-1633), the successful and prolific goldsmith. The only other known work by Schyrer is a waisted and lobed cup surmounted by a figure of Cupid, in the British Museum.
Purchased by George IV, c.1826. The cup is first recorded in the Royal Collection in August 1826 as part of a group of silver objects transferred from Royal Lodge, Windsor to Carlton House. It is one of the works sent to Rundells for gilding in 1828.
Medium & Techniques