The Durer Cup 1826-27
A silver gilt standing cup, the lobed bowl embossed with panels of flowers on a matt ground, inset with gemstones; supported on a stem cast as a gnarled tree. The roots of the tree merge into the domed foot cast with oak leaves and applied with a lizard and two frogs. The rim of the foot is also mounted with jewels.
The design of the cup is thought to be the work of the fifteen year-old A.W.N. Pugin, who was encountered by John Gawler Bridge, of Rundell, Bridge & Rundell, sketching in the British Museum. Pugin was studying prints of the works of Dürer. Bridge was so impressed with his skill that he commissioned several silver designs from the young Pugin - the design for this cup may have been among them. The form of the cup is based on a drawing by Dürer, of c.1500 (now in the British Museum, Sloane 5218-78). The cup was delivered to George IV in 1827, at a cost of £150 2s 6d.
ProvenancePurchased by George IV in 1827
- People involved
- Physical properties
Probably Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin (1812-52) - The Dürer Cup