The weeping women candelabra 1811
Pair of candelabra 1811
Pair of five-light candelabra of patinated and gilt bronze with black marble in form of three partly draped female figures standing back to back, hands covering faces, on circular marble base with gilt-bronze bucrania and garlands of fruit. Gilt bronze stem with leaf-cups on candle-arms. The Vulliamy family specialised in making and repairing clocks. From the 1790s, they produced bronze and gilt bronze objects of the highest quality. Often their role would be one of assembling parts made by different craftsmen, some of whom were directly employed by the family firm. Twenty-one craftsmen were involved in the production of these candelabra alone, which were placed in Carlton House, the Prince Regent’s London residence.
ProvenanceRecorded in the 1834 pictorial inventory of candelabra in George IV's possession. Supplied to George IV when Prince Regent for Carlton House; Benjamin-Louis Vulliamy passed on the cost of £350.0.11 to George IV in 1815 together with additional bill of £69 for his own design work; later recorded in the store room under the clock, Carlton House and in the Bow Drawing Room, Buckingham Palace. In 1915 they are recorded in the Green Drawing Room.
- People involved
- Physical properties
Pair of candelabra