All the drawings and manuscripts in Leonardo's studio at his death were bequeathed to his pupil Francesco Melzi, who took them back to his family villa near Milan. After Melzi's death, around 1570, the collection was sold to the sculptor Pompeo Leoni (c.1533-1608), who pasted the drawings into the pages of several albums. These were dispersed some time after Leoni's death in Madrid, and one was brought to England, probably through the agency of Thomas Howard, 2nd Earl of Arundel, who owned the album by 1630. During the Civil War, Arundel left England, and there is no further trace of the Leonardo volume until 1690, when it was recorded at Whitehall Palace. How the album entered the Royal Collection is unknown, though it is most likely that it was acquired by Charles II. Although the binding of the album survives, the drawings have been removed in the course of the last two centuries. They are now housed in individual mounts, and kept in solander boxes in the Print Room in the Royal Library at Windsor Castle. Today, a selection of drawings by Leonardo can be seen in the Drawings Gallery which is on the public route at Windsor Castle.