The Royal Collection © 2008,
The Delhi Durbar Necklace
The necklace incorporates nine of the celebrated Cambridge emeralds and was commissioned from Garrard as part of the emerald parure worn by Queen Mary at the Delhi Durbar which took place on the 12 December 1911. The cost of mounting the parure and the new stones required was met by King George V as a 44th birthday present for Queen Mary.
The 8.8 carat marquise diamond, known as Cullinan VII, is detachable for use with the Cullinan VIII brooch as an alternative to Cullinan VI. This is one of the nine numbered stones cut from the Cullinan Diamond. The necklace was inherited by The Queen from her grandmother, Queen Mary, in 1953.