26 March 1911
Presented to King George V, 1914
This beautifully composed scene shows the expedition hut constructed at Cape Evans by Scott’s team in January 1911. The hut was large, but had to accommodate sleeping quarters for the entire team, a dining area, stables for the ponies and Ponting’s darkroom. Supplies can be seen piled up outside. The hut has survived to this day.
73.4 x 57.5 cm