The Terra Nova at the ice foot, Cape Evans

16 January 1911

Herbert Ponting

Presented to King George V, 1914

 

This image shows the Terra Nova tethered to the ice at Cape Evans. The Cape was named after Lieutenant Edward Evans (1880-1957), Scott’s second in command on Terra Nova. Scott discovered the place during his Discovery expedition of 1901-4. When he returned in 1910, it was here that he built the expedition hut, which still stands today.


Carbon print

73.5 x 57.8 cm

RCIN 2580007