Essential booking and visit information - London
To find out more or to make a booking contact the Learning Bookings team.
Please have to hand:
- Preferred date and possible alternatives, plus time of arrival
- Numbers of children and supervising adults
- The taught programme you would like
- Details of any special educational or access needs.
You will then be sent a reservation letter, together with your teachers’ resource pack, giving a date by which full payment must be received to secure the booking.
Please note: you may be asked to cover the cost of the session if you cancel within short notice of your visit. Non-booked schools will be charged at standard group admission rates. Full Terms and Conditions are available on request.
Learning Bookings Team
Ticket Sales and Information Office
London SW1A 1AA
Tel: (+44) (0)20 7766 7323
Fax: (+44) (0)20 7930 9625
The State Rooms at Buckingham Palace
Pre-booked school groups: £6.00 per pupil.
Children in Reception or below: FREE
The Royal Mews
Pre-booked school groups: £3.00 per pupil.
Children in Reception or below: FREE
The Queen’s Gallery
Pre-booked school groups: £1 per pupil
One teacher or adult helper is admitted free of charge at the following ratios:
The Queen’s Gallery: all accompanying adults visit for free
Under 5’s 1 adult: 3 pupils
Years 1 to 3 1 adult: 6 pupils
Year 4 and above 1 adult: 10 pupils
Please ask for details of rates for additional adults when booking.
Once you have made your booking, we offer two complimentary tickets for you and a colleague to conduct a planning visit. If you would like to meet a member of the Learning team during this visit, please let us know at the time of booking.
Pre-booked school groups to The Royal Mews will have use of the facilities in the Learning Room, which is within the Royal Mews precinct. This is your base for the duration of your visit to the mews. Facilities include a space to eat packed lunches and a safe place to leave coats and bags.
There are no lunch spaces available for The Queen’s Gallery or the State Rooms at Buckingham Palace. Green Park and St. James’ Park are nearby (to book a lunch room at the Girl Guiding UK ICANDO Centre on Buckingham Palace Road, telephone 020 7592 1818).
Our learning programmes are designed to be accessible to all pupils. Most of our sessions can be adapted to meet any educational or access needs your group may have. Please ask for details when booking.
You may find the information for visitors on the Autism spectrum helpful when planning your visit to:
Making the most of your visit
There is a wealth of practical information and advice in the teachers’ pack, which will be sent when you make a reservation. We recommend you allow plenty of time to study the pack before the visit and if you need further guidance, please contact us.
Sharing Learning Objectives
You will find our learning objectives for each taught session on the relevant programme information page. Sending us your learning objectives prior to your visit will help us tailor the session to your group’s requirements.
Arriving at The State Rooms at Buckingham Palace, The Royal Mews and The Queen’s Gallery
Following your booking a confirmation letter, with an agreed arrival time, will be sent to you; your letter serves as a ticket for your group. The group leader must have a copy of the confirmation letter to present on arrival.
The Royal Collection’s London sites have airport style security measures at all public entry points which all visitors, including school groups, are required to enter through. All adults and children will be asked to:
- Allow any bags to be searched by hand
- Walk through a metal detector arch, one at a time
- Switch off mobile phones
- The Royal Collection Learning Section asks that teachers undertake the following guidelines to make entry to Royal Collection sites as smooth and quick as possible:
- Please arrive at the Royal Collection site at least 15 minutes before the scheduled time for the booked workshop.
- Teachers and children should not bring the following: scissors, compasses, metal cutlery, sharp metallic implements.
- Only bring what you need! The Royal Collection Learning Section will provide all necessary equipment such as clipboards, pencils and drawing materials (Groups can bring their own sketchbooks if they prefer to use these).
We are open all year round, with a small number of closures for royal events.
The 3 sites are open for different periods throughout the school year for booked school groups.
Please be aware there may be closures for royal events.
- The State Rooms at Buckingham Palace is open August and September.
- The Royal Mews is open to schools from March to November.
- The Queen’s Gallery is open all year round.
How to find us
By Train: The nearest mainline station is London Victoria
By Underground: Victoria, Green Park, Hyde Park Corner and St James’s Park
By Bus: 11, 211, 239, C1 and C10
By Coach: Setting down point is Bressenden Place and collection point is Lower Grosvenor Place. Information is included with your booking.