Garrard & Co. Ltd, 1911
Diamonds, emeralds, platinum, gold
46 cm long
This necklace of diamonds and emeralds set in platinum and gold was one of the principal elements of Queen Mary’s parure of diamonds and emeralds created for the Delhi Durbar of 1911.
The parure consisted of The Delhi Durbar Tiara, a stomacher (incorporating Cullinan V and VIII), brooch, earrings and this necklace.
Cullinan VII was cut by Asscher’s as an 8.8 carat marquise and is suspended as an asymmetrical pendant on a detachable chain of ten graduated brilliant diamonds, to counterbalance thepear-shaped emerald pendant, which is pavé-set and similarly suspended from a detachable, graduated chain of 12 brilliant diamonds. The necklace incorporates nine of the Cambridge emeralds, originally owned by Queen Mary’s grandmother, the Duchess of Cambridge. The eight cabochon-cut emeralds are set between six large brilliant diamonds on a double platinum chain, with 94 smaller brilliant-cut diamonds.
The necklace was inherited, along with the rest of the parure, by The Queen in 1953.