London
The State Rooms, Buckingham Palace
Tiara from the Diamonds: A Jubilee Celebration exhibition
Diamonds: A Jubilee Celebration

Cullinan V Brooch

Cullinan V Brooch

Garrard & Co. Ltd, 1911
Diamonds, platinum
4.5 × 4.3 cm

This heart-shaped stone weighs 18.8 metric carats and is mounted in a fine radiating platinum web, with a scrolling millegrain and pavé-set border of brilliant diamonds.

The mounting of the jewel was designed to be as adaptable as possible, so that it could be worn in several different guises.

It was most often worn by Queen Mary, and now by The Queen (who inherited it 1953), as a brooch. It forms the detachable centre section of the diamond and emerald stomacher made for Queen Mary for the Delhi Durbar in 1911.