The hilt is of cast and chased gold. The pommel is in the form of a barred helmet surmounted by a recumbent lion. The grip and guards are studded with numerous diamonds set in the form of bands of foliage. These elements are probably by a German goldsmith, c.1750. After the sword had been acquired by George IV around 1820 it was embellished with additional diamonds by the royal goldsmiths Rundell, Bridge and Rundell. The scabbard with two large brilliant stones was also supplied by Rundells.
ProvenancePurchased by George IV c.1820
"..placed in the Windsor Armoury by command of His Majesty King Edward VII in August, 1901". According to Laking it had formerly been kept among the Coronation Regalia of George IV, having been worn by him."
- People involved
- Physical properties
Rundell Bridge & Rundell - Sword and scabbard