Four-poster tester bed
Laking FR p151,pl.43
Four-poster tester bed carved and gilt with oval crown dome with plume of ostrich feathers on top, silk canopy and green and purple embroidered gold-fringed curtains; gilt wooden mounts of trophies and wreaths; ornate frieze; fluted Ionic columns at each corner with plumed helmet capitals.
Almost certainly supplied by Dominique Daguerre for George IV's bedroom at Carlton House in the late 1780s. Repaired and reupholstered in blue embroidered satin by Morel & Hughes, 16 June 1810. Sent with blue upholstery and a matching window-curtain to Morel & Seddon from the Pediment Stores, 2 December 1826 and delivered to Windsor Castle on 18 December 1827. The cleaning of the old brocade was done separately. It has been altered since and was reupholstered by J.G. Crace for the State Visit of Napoleon III in 1855. The ostrich plumes were replaced in 1984.