Click image to zoom
Royal Collection © Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Laking FR p29,pl.9
XQG 1962 Treas 29
XQG 2002 78
XQG 2004 GIII 258
On his accession in 1760 George III inherited three late seventeenth-century suites of silver tables, mirrors and stands. These had been displayed in the State rooms in Windsor Castle since the reign of Queen Anne and in the early years of the King’s reign they were regularly cleaned and repaired. A further set was in the collection of Frederick, Prince of Wales, at Leicester House in the 1740s. These were the remnants of far larger suites of silver furnishings, which had been displayed throughout the royal palaces during the reigns of the later Stuarts. The popularity of silver furnishings had however diminished in the first half of the eighteenth century and in February 1764 ‘three silver tables and six stands’, together with numerous old sconces, chandeliers and firedogs ‘which are not English Standard’, were ‘Delivered to be melted...to be reduced into English Sterling to complete his Majesty’s Gift of 8000oz of old Plate to the Duke of Gloucester’ - part of a generous gift for the King’s third brother, Prince William, Duke of Gloucester.
Thereafter the three sets disappear from the Jewel House records. However in February 1805 an account of ‘their Majesties’ Fete at Windsor Castle’ noted ‘the novel and grand appearance of four silver tables, between each window [in the Queen’s Ballroom]. The magnificent effect of the tables was considerably heightened by four most elegant pier glasses over each with silver frames’. In addition five silver chandeliers were hung in the Ballroom and the Queen’s Drawing Room next door.
This magnificent arrangement was recorded in a view of the Queen’s Ballroom in 1817. It would therefore appear that elements of at least two of the sets of silver tables, mirrors and stands were spared the melting pot in 1764. One composite surviving set includes two stands, a table and a mirror decorated with the cipher of Charles II. This table belongs to a set including mirror and stands (the latter now missing) made for William III in 1699. It would therefore appear that by 1805 George III had had a change of heart, and that these examples of high baroque furnishings were now deemed suitable for his newly refurbished apartments at Windsor Castle.
Struck with the maker’s mark of Andrew Moore; the top engraved HR. Sculp
Catalogue entry adapted from George III & Queen Charlotte: Patronage, Collecting and Court Taste, London, 2004