Creator: Morel & Seddon (cabinet maker)
Carved and gilded mahogany, silk damask
Acquirer: George IV, King of the United Kingdom (1762-1830), when King of the United Kingdom (1820-30)
Part of the group of furniture and furnishings supplied between 1827 and 1829 to King George IV by the partnership of Morel and Seddon for the the Library (now the Crimson Drawing Room) and the Small Drawing Room (now the White Drawing Room).
Nicholas Morel had formerly worked for The Prince of Wales, later George IV, on Carlton House and the Royal Pavilion at Brighton. Subsequently, he was commissioned to design and furnish Wyatville’s newly built apartments for the King at Windsor Castle. In order to fulfil the contract he entered into partnership with George Seddon III whose family had large and long established furniture workshops in Aldersgate Street in the City of London.
From a suite of fifty-six pieces made for George IV’s Private Apartments at Windsor. Much of the new furniture for Windsor was designed by F.-H.-G. Jacob-Desmalter, the Parisian cabinet-maker specifically employed by Morel & Seddon to help with this commission. The modern upholstery copies the original cut velvet supplied by W.E. King.