Set of eight six-light gilt-bronze candelabra; in the form of a blue enamelled vase crowned by a flaming torch and supported on tripod legs and a centre rodentwined by a serpent, all on a tripod base chased with arabesques on peg top feet. The four candle arms of the lower tier, secured to the vase, terminate at the opposite end to the candle sockets in eagle heads holding chains in their beaks. The upper tier of two arms are attached to the torch.
ProvenanceFrançois Rémond was one of the leading bronze-founders of late eighteenth-century France; he collaborated with many marchand merciers, including Dominique Daguerre, the Paris dealer-decorator whom the Prince charged with the furnishing of Carlton House. These candelabra were probably designed by Daguerre and supplied by Rémond. They were certainly in the Great Drawing Room at Carlton House in 1808 when a programme of restoration and reguilding took place.
Included in the Pictorial Inventory of 1827-33 – RCIN 934797. The inventory was originally created as a record of the clocks, vases, candelabra and other miscellaneous items from Carlton House, as well as selected items from the stores at Buckingham House, the Royal Pavilion, Brighton, Hampton Court and Kensington Palace for consideration in the refurbishment of Windsor Castle.
Six of the candelabra were delivered for use at St James's Palace and were recorded in the Middle Room on October 4th 1831. The other two were sent to St James's Palace for use in the Ballroom in 1833. Recorded in the Bow Saloon (2 pairs) and Blue Drawing Room (2 pairs), without stands, in Buckhingham Palace in 1915; the stands were in the Green Drawing Room.
- People involved
- Physical properties
Purchased prior 30th August 1808, date of bill submitted by Vulliamy for their repair. Possibly bought by Dominique Daguerre as part of furnishings for Carlton House late 1780s early 1790s. By 1st October 1818 in Throne Room, Carlton House. Royal Collection