Royal Collection Trust/© Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 2014
The Terra Nova at the ice foot, Cape Evans
Photograph of the Terra Nova tethered to the ice at Cape Evans. The Cape was named after Lieutenant Edward Evans (1880-1957), Scott’s second in command on Terra Nova. Scott discovered the place during his Discovery expedition of 1901-4. When he returned in 1910, it was here that he built the expedition hut, which still stands today.