Interior view of Windsor Castle, the Round Tower
Photograph of Windsor Castle, taken from the Lower Ward showing (left to right): St. George's Chapel, the Round Tower, King Henry III Tower and the Military Knights residences. Two Guardsmen stand on the path outside the chapel, facing the viewer.
Fenton made a series of over thirty views of Windsor Castle and its surroundings in the summer of 1860. This view looks towards the Round Tower and includes St George’s Chapel on the left. Two guardsmen from the Coldstream Guards remind us that the castle was then – as now – a fully occupied royal residence with a military guard.
Text adapted from Roger Fenton – Julia Margaret Cameron: Early British photographs from the Royal Collection, London, 2010