Click image to zoom
Royal Collection © Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Set of elbow chairs
Laking FR p152
Set of eight mahogany elbow chairs; wth rectangular back with lozenge and circle trellis, mounted with gilt metal beaded borders, fluted uprights with gilt metal acorn finials, slightly outcurved arms with fluted supports, rounded upholstered seat, and fluted tapering legs with beaded collars.
These trellis-back chairs are from a set made by the leading Parisian menuisier or chair and bed-maker, Georges Jacob (1739-1814). They were supplied through the marchand-mercier (dealer-decorator) Dominique Daguerre to the future George IV for use at his London residence Carlton House. At this time, the Prince of Wales was pursuing a highly refined French neo-classical style of interior decoration.