Creator: Georges Jacob (1739-1814) (chair maker)
Mahogany, gilt metal, upholstery
Acquirer: George IV, King of the United Kingdom (1762-1830), when Prince of Wales (1762-1811)
Forms part of a set inluding side chairs (RCIN 20042) and a settee (RCIN 20590), purchased by George IV when prince of Wales, through Dominique Daguerre, circa 1785-90.
Georges Jacob was a prominent Parisian master menuisier, producing carved and painted furniture and upholstery work, becoming a Maître Ebéniste on 4 September 1765. His first business was in the Rue de Cléry from 1767 and the Rue Meslée from 1775 where he employed specialist carvers and gilders. In 1791, the Le Chapelier law removed the guild system and Jacob diversified his workshop to include cabinet-making and mounted bronzes.
Having survived the Revolution with the assistance of the artist Jacques Louis David, Jacob retired in 1796. He left his workshop to his two sons, Georges II and François-Honoré-Georges Jacob-Desmalter who traded as Jacob Frères. After the death of Georges II in 1803 Jacob came out of retirement to work with his younger son; the firm worked on a constant supply of furnishings for the Emperor Napoleon trading as Jacob Desmalter et Cie.
Set of eight mahogany elbow chairs; wth rectangular back with lozenge and circle trellis, mounted with gilt metal beaded borders, fluted uprights with gilt metal acorn finials, slightly outcurved arms with fluted supports, rounded upholstered seat, and fluted tapering legs with beaded collars.
These trellis-back chairs are from a set made by the leading Parisian menuisier or chair and bed-maker, Georges Jacob (1739-1814). They were supplied through the marchand-mercier (dealer-decorator) Dominique Daguerre to the future George IV for use at his London residence Carlton House. At this time, the Prince of Wales was pursuing a highly refined French neo-classical style of interior decoration.