Mars and Venus 1817-22
Venus stands partially draped gazing upwards at Mars, who wears a Roman Centurion style helmet and holds a spear
This magnificent full length sculpture of the Roman Gods ‘Mars and Venus’ was carved from a single marble block. It was commissioned by the Prince Regent for Carlton House in 1815 during Canova's visit to London to see the Elgin Marbles. It represents an allegory of War and Peace after England’s victory over Napoleon at the Battle of Waterloo in 1815.
It is currently located at one of the ends of the Marble Hall in Buckingham Palace.
ProvenanceCommissioned by George IV in 1815, delivered to Carlton House 1824, where placed in the Gothic Conservatory
- People involved
Medium & Techniques
208.0 x 137.0 x 65.5 cm (whole object)