Click image to zoom

Click image to zoom

Click image to zoom

Click image to zoom

Download this image
Royal Collection Trust/© Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 2014

Mars and Venus

Overview

Creator: Antonio Canova (1757-1822) (sculptor)
Creation Date: 
1817 - 1822
Materials: 
Marble
Dimensions: 
208.0 x 137.0 x 65.5 cm
RCIN 
2038
Acquirer: George IV, King of the United Kingdom (1762-1830)
Provenance: 
Commissioned by George IV in 1815, delivered to Carlton House 1824, where placed in the Gothic Conservatory
Description:

Venus stands partially draped gazing upwards at Mars, who wears a Roman Centurion style helmet and holds a spear

This magnificent full length sculpture of the Roman Gods ‘Mars and Venus’ was carved from a single marble block. It was commissioned by the Prince Regent for Carlton House in 1815 during Canova's visit to London to see the Elgin Marbles. It represents an allegory of War and Peace after England’s victory over Napoleon at the Battle of Waterloo in 1815.

It is currently located at one of the ends of the Marble Hall in Buckingham Palace.

Further details

Category: 
Sculpture